RS – Unit 5 VEX Medbot

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

In Unit 5 students will learn about robot behaviors as you transport medicine in a hospital with Medbot! Students will be asked to program a robot to deliver medication to patients on a hospital floor that they create.

At the beginning of every topic, students are STRONGLY encouraged to write down all of the vocabulary words, definitions, and key concepts found in the concept folders.  These notes will help students a lot to complete assignments and tests.

Students are learning how to:

• Use flowcharts and/or pseudocode to address complex problems as algorithms

• Decompose problems and subproblems into parts to facilitate the design, implementation, and review of programs.

• Document programs in order to make them easier to follow, test, and debug

• Evaluate and refine computational artifacts to make them more usable and accessible

• Create interactive data visualizations using software tools to help others better understand real-world phenomena

Students are learning about these things so that they can:

• Apply building directions to create a robot to complete a specific task.

• Decompose problems into smaller components through systematic analysis, using constructs such as procedures, modules, and/or objects.

• Differentiate between the movements by the robot to drive forward, drive in reverse, turn left, turn right, and wait.

• Identify the positive effects robotics has had on the medical field.

Students will know they are successful when they get a perfect score on the following assignments (Keep in mind they have unlimited redos):

• VEX-MB Question of the Day Discussion 10 pts Due 3/3

• VEX-MB Commit to Learning 11 pts Due 3/3

• Behavior Based Programming CFU 2 pts Due 3/3

• Programming Drive Forward and Reverse CFU 2 pts Due 3/3

• Programming Turning Right and Left CFU 2 pts Due 3/3

• Introduction to Text-Based Programming CFU 2 pts Due 3/3

• VEX-MB Make Sense of Learning 15 pts Due 3/17

• VEX-MB Practice and Rehearse OPTIONAL 8 pts Due 3/17

• VEX-MB Extend and Apply 11 pts Due 3/17

• VEX-MB Quiz 10 pts Due 3/17

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442