Quarter 1 review

John Lewis, Aviation Teacher

As the first academic quarter comes to a close let’s look back at the areas of student progression in Aviation Science. The Aerospace Science 1 (Introductory course students) began by taking in a broad view of  various career opportunities within the aviation industry.  These included the myriad types of pilots (UAS Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Government Pilot, Military Pilot, Corporate Pilot), Flight Attendant, Aerospace Engineer, Airfield Manager, and the types of Air Traffic Controllers. After evaluating careers, these students dove into the concepts of Weather Theory to better understand the basics of the atmosphere and how it impacts aviation. These students are closing the quarter by embracing the history of aviation and how it has brought us the industry we have today.  Students in Aerospace Science 3 (Advanced Aviation Science) started the quarter learning how the National Airspace System (NAS) is composed, regulated, and controlled to keep aircraft operations safe.  Having a solid foundational understanding of the NAS, these students began their preparation for the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) UAS pilot exam.  This exam is composed of six academic areas and requires extensive learning and memorization of regulations and aeronautical theory.  In the end, students who pass the UAS pilot exam will earn a Commercial Drone Pilot license which affords them the opportunities to earn money for flying a drone in a commercial environment.  Students may earn their pilot’s license at the age of 16 putting them in a position to make excellent money in their free time at a very young age. Mitchell High School is one of only a small number of high schools in the country with an aviation program focused on providing students alternative career pathways to exciting and lucrative careers without the expense of a college degree.

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442