The Road To Becoming A Commercially Licensed Drone Pilot (UAS)

Pictured is an unmanned aircraft, or drone.” Mitchell Aviation program students have the opportunity to fly drones similar to the one pictured – learning the knowledge and skills needed to be hired as professional drone operators in a variety of industries.

John Lewis, Aviation Teacher

Flying a drone (Unmanned Aircraft System or UAS) is not only fun, but it can be extremely profitable, too.  While anyone is allowed to fly a drone for recreation and fun, persons desiring to make money by selling their services (photos taken, etc…) must secure a license to do so from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).  The process to earn your UAS “drone” license isn’t difficult; however, the knowledge required to pass the license exam can be challenging.  In short, if it was easy then everybody would get the license.  Instead, the rigor required to earn a license helps ensure only people taking it seriously and professionally are likely to earn their license.

Students in the Advanced Aviation Science course at Mitchell High School are doing just that.  They are taking it seriously and studying for their exam.   Want to see the types of topics and questions they must learn?   Go to this link and take a “practice test” for yourself.   Copy this link and paste it into your browser.  https://free-faa-exam.kingschools.com/drone-pilot

To make it super realistic, select 60 questions from all of the knowledge areas.  Take the test and see how you do.  The FAA requires a minimum score of 70% to pass.  Good luck!

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442