CSF1 – Unit 8 Impacts of Computing: Founding Fathers of Technology

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

Unit 8 is designed to introduce you to the founding fathers of technology.  You will learn how the innovative thinking of these men impacted computing.

At the beginning of every topic, students are STRONGLY encouraged to write down all of the vocabulary words, definitions, and key concepts found in the concept folders.  These notes will help students a lot to complete assignments and tests.

Students are learning how to:

• Evaluated the ways computing impacts personal, ethical, social, economic, and cultural practices.

• Examine ways to reduce bias and equity deficits in computational artifacts

• Explain the privacy concerns related to the collection and generation of data through automated processes that may not be evident to users.

• Evaluate the social and economic implications of privacy in the context of safety, law, or ethics.

Students are learning about these things so that they can:

• Understand the impact the analytical machine had on early computer development.

• Explain the history and development of the windows operating system

• Examine the creation of Apple and how Steve Jobs overcame failure

• Create a timeline of evolution for computers through the 1980s and 1990s to help me better understand the impacts of technology.

Students will know they are successful when they get a perfect score on the following assignments (Keep in mind they have unlimited redos):

• IC-FFT Question of the Day Discussion 10 pts Due 4/28
  • IC-FFT Commit to Learning 11 pts Due 4/28
  • Charles Babbage CFU 2 pts Due 4/28
  • Bill Gates CFU 2 pts Due 4/28
  • Steve Jobs CFU 2 pts Due 4/28
  • Technology of the 1980s and 1990s: Review CFU 2 pts Due 4/28
  • IC-FFT Make Sense of Learning 15 pts Due 5/5
  • IC-FFT Practice and Rehearse OPTIONAL 8 pts Due 5/5
  • IC-FFT Extend and Apply 11 pts Due 5/5
  • IC-FFT Quiz 10 pts Due 5/5

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442