CSF1 – Unit 3 Networks and Internet: How Does it Work?

CSF1 - Unit 3 Networks and Internet: How Does it Work?

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

This topic is designed to introduce you to networks, the internet, and how they work.  You will learn about the basic hardware and software behind networks.  Learning about networks gives you a better understanding of how the internet is one giant network.

At the beginning of every topic, students are STRONGLY encouraged to write down all of the vocabulary words, definitions, and key concepts found in the concept folders.  These notes will help students a lot to complete assignments and tests.

Students are learning how to:

• Compare levels of abstraction and interactions between application software, system software, and hardware layers.
  • Evaluate the scalability and reliability of networks, by describing the relationship between routers, switches, servers, topology, and addressing
  • Compare various security measures, considering tradeoffs between the usability and security of computing systems.
  • Explain tradeoffs when selecting and implementing cybersecurity recommendations.
  • Evaluate the tradeoffs in how data elements are organized and where data is stored

Students are learning about these things so that they can:

• Understand the interactions between software, system software, and hardware layers.
  • Understand and evaluate the scalability (making it bigger or smaller) and reliability (how often it works) of networks.
  • Compare various security measures of computing systems
  • Explain tradeoffs when selecting and implementing cybersecurity recommendations

Students will know they are successful when they get a perfect score on the following assignments (Keep in mind they have unlimited redos):

• NI:HDIW Question of the Day 10 pts Due 2/3
  • NI:HDIW Commit to Learning 11 pts Due 2/3
  • Network: Hardware Basics CFU 2 pts Due 2/3
  • Internet: Hardware Basics CFU 2 pts Due 2/3
  • Distributive Networks CFU 2 pts Due 2/3
  • One Giant Network Called the Internet CFU 2 pts Due 2/3
  • NI-HDIW Making Sense of Learning 15 pts Due 2/10
  • NI-HDIW Practice and Rehearse 8 pts Due 2/10
  • NI-HDIW Extend and Apply 11 pts Due 2/10
  • NI-HDIW Quiz 10 pts Due 2/10

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442