CSF1 – Unit 1 Problem Solving Process

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

We are learning some basic computer science concepts and how to use the problem-solving process.  Students will know the 4 steps to the problem-solving process which will help them with future class projects.

Students are learning how to:

• Explain how abstractions hide the underlying implementation details of computing systems embedded in everyday objects
  • Compare levels of abstraction and interactions between application software, system software, and hardware layers
  • Evaluate the tradeoffs in how data elements are organized and where data is stored.
  • Create prototypes that use algorithms to solve computational problems by leveraging prior student knowledge and personal interests
  • Use tools and methods for collaboration on a project to increase connectivity of people in different cultures and career fields

Students are learning about these things so that they can:

• be successful in class and well informed on classroom expectations (Concept #1)
  • Set up my ClassCraft account to have fun and unlock privileges in class (Concept #2)
  • Understand how Schoology works to help me be successful in class (Concept #3)
  • Implement the Problem Solving Process in the challenges throughout class (Concept #4)

Students will know they are successful when they get a perfect score on the following assignments (Keep in mind they have unlimited redos):

• PS – Question of the Day Discussion 10 pts Due 1/6
  • Classroom Rules and Procedures CFU 2 pts Due 1/6
  • ClassCraft CFU 2 pts Due 1/6
  • Schoology CFU 2 pts Due 1/6
  • Problem Solving Process CFU 2 pts Due 1/6
  • PS-Practice and Rehearse OPTIONAL 8 pts Due 1/13
  • PS-Extend and Apply 11 pts Due 1/13
  • PS-Make Sense of Learning 15 pts Due 1/13

The project for this unit is creating the tallest paper tower possible using ONLY paper.  If you would like to learn more or see pictures of past projects please read – “Problem Solving with Paper Towers

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442