CSF1 – Unit 4 Impacts of Computing Founding Mothers of Technology

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

With the invention of the computer, our culture, careers, and course of society has been forever changed.  In this course, you will learn about those changes and how you can be a part of this amazing revolution.  We begin our journey by going back to the first computers and the amazing women who helped to usher in our digital age.

At the beginning of every topic, students are STRONGLY encouraged to write down all of the vocabulary words, definitions, and key concepts found in the concept folders.  These notes will help students a lot to complete assignments and tests.

Students are learning how to:

• Evaluate the ways computing impacts personal, ethical, social, economic, and cultural practices.
  • Examine bias and equity deficits in the early development of computer science
  • Demonstrate ways a given algorithm applies to problems across disciplines
  • Examine how collaboration on projects can increase connectivity of people in different cultures and career fields

Students are learning about these things so that they can:

Students will know they are successful when they get a perfect score on the following assignments (Keep in mind they have unlimited redos):

• IC-FMT Question fo the Day 10 pts Due 2/17
  • IC-FMT Commit to Learning 11 pts Due 2/17
  • Ada Lovelace CFU 2 pts Due 2/17
  • Grace Hopper CFU 2 pts Due 2/17
  • Katherine Johnson CFU 2 pts Due 2/17
  • Margaret Hamilton CFU 2 pts Due 2/17
  • IC-FMT Making Sense of Learning 15 pts Due 2/24
  • IC-FMT Practice and Rehearse 8 pts Due 2/24
  • IC-FMT Extend and Apply 11 pts Due 2/24
  • IC-FMT Quiz 10 pts Due 2/24

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442