Paper Tower Challenge

Janeal Tyler, Computer Science Teacher

I always love starting a new semester off with the Paper Tower Challenge.  It’s a great way to assess how students learn, problem-solve, and work with others.  The Challenge is for students to build the tallest tower using only paper.  Students have to come up with a plan, try it, and reflect to improve their plan.

There are the ones that never get off the ground –

There are the ones that get really creative but forget the challenge is the build the TALLEST tower –

There are the ones that make a great attempt but just can’t seem to get the tower to stand –

There are the ones that make it to the ceiling –

This style of hands on learning allows students to work with peers towards a common goal without the pressure of grades or performance.  It creates an atmosphere of trial and error, exploration, and experimentation.  Overall it is a great way to start the Semester.

School District 11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to disability, need for special education services (whether actual or perceived), race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religion, ancestry, age, genetic information, or protected activity. Any harassment/discrimination of students and/or staff, based on the protected areas, will not be tolerated and must be brought to the immediate attention of the D11 nondiscrimination compliance/grievance coordinator.

NONDISCRIMINATION COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR Katherine Ritchie Rapp, Equal Opportunity Programs and Ombudservices 711 East San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2599
E-MAIL: [email protected] Phone: 520-2271, FAX: 520-2442